The Robot Power Scorpion XL v2.0 is a flexible high-performance two-channel speed controller
for small robots in the one to twelve pound class. By using the latest automotive-rated
power chips the Scorpion XL is able to offer features, power handling and load protection
unprecedented in any controller of this size.
As an online robot building club we are always finding products that work and sharing our findings.
The Midwest region of R2 Builders started using the Scorpion XL over a year ago. Upon seeing one put to use I got one myself.
WOW! I'm running two 100W Razor scooter motors off this thing and the control is dependable, fluid and smooth.
The 24V scooter motors are being run at half voltage in my robot and friends are running theirs at full voltage,
yet the Scorpion works just as well both ways. I also am impressed with the low amount of high pitched motor winding
whistle noise from this unit's low speeds, whereas other robots using different controllers with the same motors have
a more annoying amount of audible pitch.
I love the BEC, I just charge my robot�s gel-cell battery bank and that's it!
No dying R/C receiver battery on a robot that has plenty of run time left.
Customer Craig from the USA
I purchased a Scorpion XL recently, and have just won a local robot tournament with it.
It worked great, and was especially easy to install, and was not intimidating, even for someone fairly new to robotics.
The control was excellent, to which I associate the majority my advantage in the competition.
It's ability to easily calibrate and work right out of the package was also key. To everyone that asks
I thoroughly recommend it, and deem it well worth the price, just by the extra features incorporated.
(The flip switch saved my bot on a several occasions.)
Having done a massive amount of research for this project, I've come to realize the potential of this motor controller
as a continually expandable device.
Overall, thanks for an awesome product, I'd recommend it to anyone.
Customer Andy B. from The USA
The Scorpion XL is designed for sumo robots, ant and beetle weight combat robots and other small
robots such as firefighting robots, maze solvers and carpet rovers. It may be used on scooters, and robots up to
as much as 30 pounds or more as long as the motor current limits are respected.
The built-in drive and mixing functions allow an all-in-one solution for
small robots and other loads.
The Scorpion XL contains the following features:
- Size: 2.7" x 1.6" x .5"
- Weight: 38 grams with servo leads installed
- Three R/C input leads for
- Left and Right Drive - fully reversible H-bridge channels
- Flip Control (requires RC extension cable not included) - reverses controls if robot is flipped over
- 5.5V to 28V battery voltage
- Metal screw terminals for reliable motor/battery connections - no soldering required
- 12.5A continuous current (30A peak) on each Left and Right drive channels.
This is a real 12.5A rating i.e. you can put 12.5A through the output channels for several minutes with higher peaks for a few seconds
- Full current limiting and over temp limiting. This thing is nearly blow proof!
- Surface mount MOSFET chips for reliability and to reduce the size of the unit
- 2 Indicator LEDs for Left/Right speed and direction. A status LED shows the R/C signal status and other information
- Left/Right channel mixing is the default
- Switching style voltage regulator for efficient operation at higher voltages
- Receiver battery eliminator circuit (BEC) standard - may be disabled.
This can provide up to 300 mA of current at 5V to the RC receiver and other attached electronic circuits.
- Failsafe shuts off motors if R/C signal is lost
- Calibration function to match Scorpion to your radio or other signal source - settings stored in EEPROM
- FLASH-based microcontroller with upgradeable software via in-circuit programming header